Researching a new topic is a riveting process. Here are a few of the memorable items I read or viewed as background for The Dark Quest of Countess X. Most are freely available online or through the NZ public library system.
- Chemaly, Soraya. (2018). Rage Becomes Her: The Power of Women’s Anger. UK: Simon and Schuster
- Choo Waihong. (2017). The Kingdom of Women: Life, love and death in China’s hidden mountains. (The Mosuo). UK: Bloomsbury Publishing
- Davis, Evan Grae. (2012). It’s a Girl: The Three Deadliest Words in the World (Documentary film exploring female infanticide.
- Dick, Kirby. (2015). The Hunting Ground. (Documentary film exploring sexual predation by men on US university women)
- Eisler, Riane and Fry, Douglas. (2019). Nurturing Our Humanity: How Domination and Partnership Shape Our Brains, Lives, and Future. US: Oxford University Press.
- Foster, Judith and Erlet, Marlene. (2013). Invisible Women of Prehistory: Three million years of peace, six thousand years of war. Australia: Spinifex Press
- Worsley, Lucy. (2019). Women: Our History. UK: Penguin Random House.